The Tapo app will guide you step by step during the initial configuration, but you may not be able to get through all the steps due to some interference. This FAQ will tell you what to do if you have trouble getting through a certain step.
Case 1: When powering on the smart device
Install your smart bulb and turn on the light. Wait about five seconds. If the smart bulb doesn't blink three times. Reset the bulb as per QIG/UG.
Case 2: Can't find your smart device
The phone is looking for the smart device. If you are unable to get through this step, please refer to the following suggestions.
1. Move your phone closer to the smart device.
2. Force to close the Tapo app, and then open it again and try to go through the process again.
3. If the problem persists, restart the Tapo device.
Case 3: Can't find your Wi-Fi network
If you are unable to find your home Wi-Fi network, please refer to the following suggestions.
1. The signal strength of your home Wi-Fi network is a bit weak, move the smart device closer to your router for a try.
2. Ensure your home Wi-Fi network is a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, the Tapo device does not support a 5GHz Wi-Fi connection.
3. If it doesn't display the Wi-Fi name of the router automatically, please click on "RESCAN" at the upper right corner to refresh the Wi-Fi list.
4. If the router's SSID is hidden, please choose "Other" to input SSID and password manually.
5. Reset the device as per QIG/UG and go through the process again.
Case 4: Unable to connect your smart device to the Wi-Fi network
If you are unable to get through this step, please refer to the following suggestions.
1. Ensure you have selected the correct home Wi-Fi network and have entered a correct wireless password. If the Wi-Fi network or password is incorrect, click on "Choose a Network" and select the Wi-Fi network again.
2. Make sure your smart device is within the Wi-Fi range of your router.
3. If the problem persists, try to reset the smart device as per UG/QIG, and then set it up again.